How do I conduct student presentations if a student is remote?

This section provides an overview on delivering and managing your student presentations using pedagogical best practices with technologies supported by the Office of eLearning.

Planning, curating, and delivering presentations gives students an opportunity to connect authentically with both the course content and their peers. Student presentations can be successfully facilitated in all modalities, including live sessions or pre-recorded for asynchronous viewing.

Selecting the right tool

This table presents the features of the technologies that can be used for live and recorded student presentations:

Live presentations Pre-recorded presentations
Zoom Checked Checked
Warpwire Checked

Using Zoom

Zoom is appropriate for live student presentations online. Students can share their screen and a video of themselves speaking, and attendees can view and hear, and ask questions.

Make sure basic requirements are met. The presenter and attendees need stable, high-speed internet connections, quiet environments, and headphones for best results. The most up-to-date recommended bandwidth and platform requirements for participating in a Zoom meeting can be reviewed through Zoom Support.

Keep time zones in mind when scheduling synchronous sessions. Time zones where attendees and presenters are located should be considered for live attendance and participation. Send out a quick survey or poll to your students as soon as possible to get a better sense of their individual circumstances related to participating in a live, synchronous class session.

Include your presentation guidelines in your course syllabus so that students know what to expect and how to prepare before their presentation. Consider including presentation tips for students' syllabus or assignment instructions to help your students create a conducive presentation space.

Some additional recommendations for a smooth presentation experience include:

• Set up a practice Zoom session and have students attempt screen sharing before their scheduled presentation date.
  • Make sure students have an assigned order in which they will be presenting or testing to minimize changeover time.
  • Have students submit any PowerPoint slides or visual aids to you before their presentation session to streamline any potential technical issues.
  • Ensure students’ time zones are similar enough to work and present together effectively if presenting in a group.
Resources

Using Warpwire

Students can record their presentation and post it online for asynchronous viewing using Warpwire. You can provide guidelines for the presentation just as you would for “in-class” or “synchronous” presentations, including length, requirements for accompanying visuals, etc.

• Students can pre-record presentations using Warpwire or Zoom. All recordings can then be linked to or embedded in the online learning space of your choice (i.e., Isidore Forum, Isidore Assignments, or kept in the Warpwire tool in Isidore). For more information, check out How will I provide course materials?.
  • Students could also pre-record presentations in any other way that works for them (e.g., cell phone or webcam on a tripod) and then post their recorded video in their course Sakai site.
Resources

Go to Topic 8: How do I customize my course site?